Basic questions an engineering students ask when they have backlog

Lots of engineering students ask me questions on Quora. Most of them are related to backlog/ATKT. There are few questions which are similar and asked every few days.So here is the list of 12 questions. So lets begin 

1. What is backlog?
lets say , in a semester you have 5 subjects. and you failed in 3 subjects. but still you will be promoted to next semester. but those failed subjects will also be included in that next semester. So you have 3 backlogs. we refer it as ATKT also.

2. How many backlogs counted if I failed in internal as well as external in the same subject?
Well , I was from Mumbai University. Here internal and external both are counted separate for the same subject. So if you fail in internal and external in same subject then 2 ATKT will be counted.
3. Do engineers with backlogs/ATKTs get hired?
YES..!! there are two ways, one is on campus and one is off campus. If it is about on campus then it depends on company to company. some companies allow 2-3 ATKT that too dead. In simple words, No live backlog/ATKT at the time of placements. They might ask you about your backlogs but you have to convince them. And dont worry if you dont get placed on campus. I have seen people who are rejected on campus but placed off campus with better package.
4. Will it be OKAY to become year down rather than carring backlog in next year?
NO. Why to waste precious time(one year) and hard earned money? if you are really serious then study properly and clear in first attempt itself. Many companies do not hire students with a year drop or more. A candidate with same grades as yours will be preferred over you if he has no back history.
5. What are the chances of clearing the subject in re evaluation if I got 23 (plus or minus 5) in Mumbai University?
or What are the chances of getting grace marks in re evaluation?
It depends on moderator, how you have performed in other subjects, what you have written in that subject. If you have cleared other subjects with 60% then chances are very good. maximum 8 grace marks are given provided you are clear in other subjects. Sometimes what happens when you go for re evaluation is that your marks get increased or sometimes decreased. So it completely depends on moderator and what you have written.
6. How do I clear if a subjects looks difficult to me?
or What do I do,Even after few attempts I am not able to clear Subjects?
Everything is difficult if you dont try and dont try to understand. Make study plan and follow it,Give time. dont procrastinate.Start from basics,Go through past year papers,read syllabus copy properly. Your teachers might not be good at explaining but they are aware of the important topics, ask them. Passing a subject is very easy.
7. Do they fail in final year of engineering?
Yes they do. I have seen many students are chilled out and then they get KT. Many students loose their jobs due to KT in last semester.
8. How do I convert my CGPI to percentage?
As per Mumbai university, 
Percentage=7.1*CGPI + 12 (If CGPI is less than 7)
Percentage=7.4*CGPI + 12 (If CGPI is greater than equal to 7)
9. What pointer should I maintain to get placed through campus?
Most of the companies have criteria of 60% that is 6.75 CGPI.But some comapnies have 75% criteria or 70%. And its not like only 7-9 pointers get job. It completely depend on your skills. You will see 8 pointers rejected and 7 selected So dont worry.
10. What is your backlog story?
I was in second year,4th sem when I got my first KT that too two. I tried my luck with re evaluation. luckily I cleared one subject but in other subject my marks reduced from 18 to 14. It hurts more when all your friends cleared "Bahot dard hota hai".I had one crush. uske saamne Shakal kaise dikhau matlab. And what to tell to parents?,Job milega kya ab? .And here comes your character.You have to ask youself,you know why you have failed ,you just have to accept it and plan how can you clear it. I started studying every weekend so that it doesnt become burden at the time of final exams.That day I realised , subject always looks difficult until you try.I tried and I got 54 in second attempt.There are two phase of my engineering life. One before KT and one after KT. Before KT I was nearly 6 pointer and after that nearly 7. 
11.What mistakes should I avoid during engineering?
Making and following traditions. Yes, traditions like when your friends ask you , "Padhke hua kya?" and you say,"Kal Raat ko book khola", Telling your friend "Kitna padhega be?", Mass bunking lectures, Not meeting attendance % is so cool. I am not saying you become book worm. Neither saying never bunk nor to maintain 100% attendance.But Balance everything so that you dont get backlogs and you maintain atleast 60%. 

I hope this clears your doubts. If you have any questions then post it in comments.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Loadrunner: Unable to load snapshot in loadrunner

Resolve : KB2975061 x64 - "This update is not applicable to your computer"

Loadrunner : Unable to see snapshot view in loadrunner